It wasn't when I got in my first fight
It wasn't when I got my first broken bone
It wasn't when I started puberty
It wasn't when I first fell in love
It wasn't when I got my first broken heart
It wasn't when I first had sex
It wasn't when I got my first beer
It wasn't when I had my first smoke
It wasn't when I shaved my first beard
It wasn't when I got my first diploma
It started after I stood on those yellow footprints where few have stood before me, and after those trials and tribulations I was given my first Eagle, Globe, and anchor
It was when I lost my first friend, to be willing to allow your life to end so someone else's life could go on.
It was after all of that, when I learned and understood what it meant to be a friend, a brother, a hero, a fighter, a father, a son, and a Marine
That was when I became a man.
No comments:
Post a Comment