"I'm coming! I just gotta finish brushing my teeth!"
Snow had fallen last night and the roads weren't so good, getting to the airport this morning was rushed and I kept feeling like I was gonna forget something. I pushed that feeling behind me and spit out the toothpaste and took one last look in the mirror. Seeing this old weathered man is someone I barely recognize now. When did I get these birds feet? Where did the color from my hair go? Those laugh lines aren't so funny anymore old man.
"Hurry up Dave or you'll have to walk to Alaska!"
"Okay I'm good lets punch the highway!"
"What did you just say?"
"You know, hit the road, punch the highway?"
"Wow dude, I'm gonna miss that corny ass sense of humor."
The snow was coming down hard and we had to make time, I remember Jake was saying to have fun at the new place and not to forget him but my mind was elsewhere, as I watched the snow come over the old hood of his 67 chevy I felt like I was in a spaceship and I was about to embark on a new world, plant my flag in uncharted territory, "One small step for man" type shit ya know?
"Hey did you hear me dude?"
"No what? Sorry bro I was zoned out."
"Dude I was saying when you get there call so I know you didn't die or something. Don't 'zone out' on that okay man?"
"You got it brother."
I had no intention of ever making contact with him or anyone again but I couldn't tell him that, he wouldn't understand what I was doing, I don't think any of my friends would.
We got to the airport with no time to spare, which is good for me because I don't do goodbyes so well.
"Hey man have fun and come visit and tell me about being a wild man and all that jazz bro."
"You know I will dude. You and Stephanie should come visit too, I know you two would love it up there in the summer."
"Yeah we'll save up and see what we can do, that would be fun. Now go get the fuck out of here before you change your mind about this shit and I'm stuck with you again."
"Alright will do, I don't want that shit either."
We both laughed and hugged it out, he waved and said "see you soon dude." I wish he knew that I wasn't coming back, that I had no plans to visit, that I was gonna disappear and no one would find me, unless I wanted them too. But I just waved goodbye and let him drive that old truck off not knowing that I would never see or talk to him again.
"Shit I left my deodorant on the nightstand."
![]() |
| Christopher McCandless in front of the bus he died in. |

No comments:
Post a Comment